stand by me the song

[7], Ben E. had the beginnings of a song—both words and music. According to King, the title is derived from, and was inspired by, a spiritual written by Sam Cooke and J. W. Alexander called "Stand by Me Father," recorded by the Soul Stirrers with Johnnie Taylor singing lead. [101][102] The band released its EP Songs from Final Fantasy XV on August 12, 2016, containing the band's remake and two original songs, "Too Much Is Never Enough" and "I Will Be". Lennon filmed a performance of the song for The Old Grey Whistle Test in 1975. It also reached No. King had the beginnings of a melody that he was singing a cappella. Woah, just stand now Released in 1961, this song was inspired by the spiritual hymn “Lord Stand By Me”. In 1960, Ben E. King was inspired to update the early 20th century gospel hymn "Stand by Me" by Charles Albert Tindley, which was based around the psalm, "will not we fear, though the Earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea."[5]. [73] Released as a single,[74] the version stayed at its peak position number 61 on Billboard Hot 100 for two weeks on the weeks ending November 28 (its sixth week)[75] and December 5, 1970 (seventh week). Jerry was sitting behind it, and Benny was sitting on the top. 1 on the UK Singles Chart in 1987 after its re-release, mostly because of the jeans spot, originally reaching No. "[44] Pitchfork writer Marc Hogan found Lennon's version "more affecting (just barely)" than the original due to the "acoustic guitar and Lennon's fervent vocals". Oh, I won't be afraid [76] It also peaked at number 24 on Billboard Soul Singles on the week ending November 21, 1970, its fourth week.[77]. [96] Royce performed the song live again at a July 2016 Philips Arena concert in Atlanta, Georgia alongside his male fan,[97] at a 2017 Amway Center concert in Orlando, Florida[98] as the second song for the 2019 RodeoHouston concert, also his first RodeoHouston concert. It was his eighth #1 on the US country charts and also reached #22 on the US Hot 100. [11], On March 27, 2012, the Songwriters Hall of Fame announced that the song would receive its 2012 Towering Song Award and that King would be honored with the 2012 Towering Performance Award for his recording of it. The unreleased recordings would eventually be included in a bootleg album A Toot and a Snore in '74. And the land is dark The third line of the second verse of the former work derives from Psalm 46:2c/3c.[1]. No I won't be afraid [112] It is included in their debut album, Stand by Me,[113] released later that year. Otis Redding covered the song for his 1964 debut album Pain in My Heart;[70] Kenny Lynch's 1964 version stayed on the top 100 UK Singles Chart for seven weeks, peaking at number 39 on the week of May 7–13, 1964, its fourth week. [86], Anita Mui recorded the Cantonese version for her 1987 Cantonese album Mung Leui Gung Tseui [zh] (夢裡共醉). [99] and at the third night of the 2020 Democratic National Convention. They liked it and called the studio musicians back in to record it. [Interlude] [37], On the week of May 3, 1975, this version was in its second of two weeks at the peak position #20 on the US Hot 100, right in front of King's comeback hit "Supernatural Thing - Part I" at #21. I have a feeling that Jerry and Ben E. were inspired by it. Lennon's version stayed on top 100 of the UK Singles Chart for seven weeks, peaking at number 30 on its fourth week on the week of May 18–24, 1975. It was in the key of A. It has since been recorded into more than 400 other versions. [6] King had written it for the Drifters, who passed on recording it. The Walker Brothers included a version on their 1967 album Images. Both tunes fell off the top 40 the next week and off the chart the week after that. [72], David and Jimmy Ruffin (credited as The Ruffin Brothers) remade the song for their only collaborative album I Am My Brother's Keeper (1970). [45] A 2007 book The Words and Music of John Lennon by Ben Urish and Ken Bielen called Lennon's version one of the "stronger" tracks of the album. [71] Spyder Turner's 1967 version climbed to No. There have been over 400 recorded versions of the song, performed by many artists. King played it on the piano for them. [109] Their version debuted and peaked at number one on the Billboard Hot Gospel Songs chart on the week ending June 2, 2018. [114], Weezer covered the song on their twelfth studio album Weezer (Teal Album) released on January 24, 2019. Lennon's remake became a single three weeks after the album's release[36] and was his last hit prior to his five-year retirement from the music industry. And the moon is the only light we'll see 11 on the US Billboard Adult Contemporary Songs chart. album. Songwriting credits on the single were shown as King and Elmo Glick—a pseudonym used by Leiber and Stoller. I showed him the song. [55] The music video was featured in an October 2008 episode of Bill Moyers Journal, where Johnson was promoting the documentary film Playing for Change: Peace Through Music,[55] which includes the music video and was shown as part of the 2008 Tribeca Film Festival in New York City. In 2012, it was estimated that the song's royalties had topped $22.8 million (£17 million), making it the sixth highest-earning song as of its era. [105][106], Skylar Grey recorded the song which appeared for a Budweiser commercial for Super Bowl LII, with proceeds for the song to go to the American Red Cross. I remember arriving at our office as Jerry and Ben were working on lyrics for a new song. [Verse 2] Oh, stand, stand by me. Released in 1961, this song was inspired by the spiritual hymn “Lord Stand By Me”. A-League club Melbourne Victory FC play this song before home matches, while fans raise their scarves above their heads and sing the lyrics. 50% of the royalties were paid to King. the night has come And the land is dark And the moon is the only light we'll see No I won't be afraid It has since been recorded into more than 400 other versions. They looked up and said they were writing a song. [100], Florence and the Machine recorded the song for the soundtrack and trailer of Final Fantasy XV in 2016. King's record went to No. Did it on piano a little bit, he called the musicians back into the studio, and we went ahead and recorded it. \"Stand By Me\" performed by Ben E KingLyrics:When the night has comeAnd the land is darkAnd the moon is the only light we'll seeNo I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraidJust as long as you stand, stand by meAnd darlin', darlin', stand by me, oh now now stand by meStand by me, stand by meIf the sky that we look uponShould tumble and fallAnd the mountains should crumble to the seaI won't cry, I won't cry, no I won't shed a tearJust as long as you stand, stand by meAnd darlin', darlin', stand by me, oh stand by meStand by me, stand by me, stand by me-e, yeahWhenever you're in trouble won't you stand by me, oh now now stand by meOh stand by me, stand by me, stand by meDarlin', darlin', stand by me-e, stand by meOh stand by me, stand by me, stand by me-- Listen to more legendary classic hits: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL76tSs7Smn-r0vmgm5p1QZGJILKdWWxazFollow/stream Ben E King: https://spotify.com/artist/3plJVWt88EqjvtuB4ZDRV3?si=5m5bG8J_SsS900VusSVKcAhttps://music.apple.com/us/artist/ben-e-king/479144℗ 1961 Atlantic / Rhino#BenEKing #Classics #60s [36] Journalist and book author Robert Webb in 2013 called this version one of the "greatest cover versions".[46]. One of the songwriters (and singer) Ben E. King said it was inspired by a Sam Cooke song “Stand by My Father”. [41], The single's B-side track is "Move Over Ms. L", initially intended for Lennon's previous album Walls and Bridges but was cut from the final lineup due to his dissatisfaction with his early takes. I went to the piano and worked up the harmonies, developing a bass pattern that became the signature of the song. After the "Spanish Harlem" recording session in 1960, King had some studio time left over. Music. Stand by me, stand by me A trio of frogs then finish the song at the end. [Chorus] [103] The cover peaked at number fifteen on the Billboard Hot Rock Singles in December 2016. [115], One of side-A labels of the original 1961 US single, Artwork for the 1986 US 7-inch and German single releases, also used for 1986 European 12-inch and 1980s French and Japanese 7-inch releases with various layouts. We used my bass pattern for a starting point and, later, we used it as the basis for the string arrangement created by Stanley Applebaum.[8]. Or the mountains should crumble to the sea [92], A version of the song released by American R&B group 4 the Cause in 1998 was a number-one hit in Switzerland, reached number two of the Austrian and German singles charts and number three in New Zealand, and was a top-ten hit in several other countries. In 2012 it ranked as one of BMI’s top 5 most performed songs of the 20th century, with more than 11.6 million performances. According to King, the title is derived from, and was inspired by, a spiritual written by Sam Cooke and J. W. Alexander called "Stand by Me Father," recorded by the Soul Stirrers with Johnnie Taylor singing lead. [56] The total amount of views of the YouTube video increased to more than 24 million as of December 2010,[57] 30 million as of March 2011,[58] 40 million as of March 2012,[59] 50 million in somewhere between 2012 and 2014,[60] 60 million as of 2014,[61] 74 million as of May 2015,[62] 100 million as of 2017,[63] and 140[64] (or 142[65]) million as of March 2020. 6 on the US Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles chart [81] and No. [82] White's version also got to No. [85] This version later appeared on the soundtrack to the 1986 film, Playing for Keeps. Later in the year, the 2015 line up of the Drifters recorded it in tribute. The musicians' performance of the song would be later included in their 2009 debut album Songs Around the World. The third line of the second verse of the former work derives from Psalm 46:2c/3c. 12 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. - Official Music Video - YouTube "Good Rockin' Tonight". According to the documentary History of Rock 'n' Roll, King had no intention of recording the song himself. I went over to the upright piano and found the chord changes behind the melody he was singing. 27 on its first release. Gather. The song has been recorded by various artists, like John Lennon, Cassius Clay (later Muhammad Ali),[4] 4 the Cause, Tracy Chapman, musicians of the Playing for Change project, Florence and the Machine, and the Kingdom Choir. wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, List of number-one R&B singles of 1961 (U.S.), List of number-one singles of 1987 (Ireland), List of number-one Billboard Hot Tropical Songs of 2010, "New Entries to National Recording Registry | News Releases - Library of Congress", "Stand By Me: More than a royal wedding song", http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1961-05-13, "BMI Announces Top 100 Songs of the Century | News", "Stand By Me Named Towering Song, Ben E. King Towering Performance, Lance Freed Abe Olman Publisher", "ben-e-king Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)", Austriancharts.at – Ben E. King – Stand by Me", Lescharts.com – Ben E. King – Stand by Me", Offiziellecharts.de – Ben E. King – Stand by Me", The Irish Charts – Search Results – Ben E King", Dutchcharts.nl – Ben E. King – Stand by Me", Norwegiancharts.com – Ben E. King – Stand by Me", Swedishcharts.com – Ben E. King – Stand by Me", Swisscharts.com – Ben E. King – Stand by Me", "Ben-E-King Chart History (Adult Contemporary)", "Billboard Hot 100 60th Anniversary Interactive Chart", "Official Singles Chart Top 50: 18 May 1975 – 24 May 1975", Austriancharts.at – John Lennon – Stand by Me", "Transcript of October 24, 2008 episode featuring, "Connecting the World, One Song at a Time", "Video of the Week: Playing for Change's Redemption Song Video", "Playing for Change: Street musicians unite world through songs", "Band headlining BBQ fest is in 'joy business, "Playing For Change Announces 'We Are One' Benefit Concert", "All the world's a stage - buskers can make it big in a connected world", "Songs From Final Fantasy XV - Florence + the Machine | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic", "Muhammad Ali the Grammy-Nominated, Billboard-Charting Musician", "Official Singles Chart Top 50: 07 May 1964 – 13 May 1964", "Spotlight Singles – Top 60 Pop Spotlight", "The Hot 100: The Week of November 28, 1970", "The Hot 100: The Week of December 5, 1970", "Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs: The Week of November 21, 1970", "In the Saddle: Mickey Gilley bringing 'Urban Cowboy Reunion' tour to NM", "Maurice White Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)", "Maurice White Chart History (Adult Contemporary)", "Home Video: Julian Lennon Long-Form: MCA to Release, "Flashback: Bruce Springsteen Surprises U2 Fans in 1987", "Disney's Timon & Pumbaa: 15 WTF Moments From Their Forgotten Spin-Off Movie", "Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon and more artists who recorded 'Stand by Me, "Concert review: Pitbull and Prince Royce party in Atlanta", "Bachata star Prince Royce seduces the Amway Center", "Rain, romance and Selena during Prince Royce's RodeoHouston debut", "Prince Royce Performs Unifying 'Stand By Me' at Democratic National Convention", "Hear Florence and the Machine's Sweeping 'Stand By Me' Cover", "Florence + The Machine Covers Classic "Stand By Me" for Final Fantasy XV", "Hear Three New Songs from Florence and the Machine", "Budweiser Just Released Its 2018 Super Bowl Commercial and It Has Nothing to Do With Beer", "Skylar Grey Helps Highlight 'A Good Cause on a Large Scale' With New Budweiser Super Bowl Commercial", "Gospel choir to perform 'Stand By Me' at royal wedding", "Hot Gospel Songs – The Week of June 2, 2018", "Tori Kelly's 'Never Alone' Debuts on Gospel & Christian Charts", "Official Singles Chart Top 100: 25 May 2018 – 31 May 2018", "The Royal Wedding gospel choir, The Kingdom Choir, announce UK tour and debut album tracklisting", "After Royal Wedding Spotlight, The Kingdom Choir Releases Debut Album", "Mickey Gilley Chart History (Hot Country Songs)", "Mickey Gilley Chart History (Adult Contemporary)", Dutchcharts.nl – Maurice White – Stand by Me", Australian-charts.com – 4 the Cause – Stand by Me", Austriancharts.at – 4 the Cause – Stand by Me", Lescharts.com – 4 the Cause – Stand by Me", Offiziellecharts.de – 4 the Cause – Stand by Me", Dutchcharts.nl – 4 the Cause – Stand by Me", Swedishcharts.com – 4 the Cause – Stand by Me", Swisscharts.com – 4 the Cause – Stand by Me", "Schweizer Jahreshitparade 1998 – hitparade.ch", "Prince Royce Chart History (Hot Latin Songs)", "Prince Royce Chart History (Latin Tropical Airplay)", "Prince Royce Chart History (Latin Pop Songs)", "Prince Royce: Chart History – Heatseekers Songs", Ultratop.be – Florence %2B The Machine – Stand By Me", Lescharts.com – Florence %2B The Machine – Stand By Me", "Florence + the Machine – Stand By Me Media Forest", "Florence + the Machine Chart History (Hot Rock & Alternative Songs)", Don't Worry Kyoko (Mummy's Only Looking for Her Hand in the Snow), Don't the Girls All Get Prettier at Closing Time, A Headache Tomorrow (Or a Heartache Tonight), https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Stand_by_Me_(Ben_E._King_song)&oldid=983361126, Songs written by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, Song recordings produced by Jim Ed Norman, Song recordings produced by Sergio George, Billboard Hot Country Songs number-one singles, Billboard Tropical Songs number-one singles, UK Dance Singles Chart number-one singles, Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs number-one singles, United States National Recording Registry recordings, Wikipedia articles needing clarification from January 2018, Pages using infobox song with unknown parameters, Singlechart usages for Billboardrandbhiphop, Singlechart usages for Billboardadultcontemporary, Articles with unsourced statements from March 2019, Articles containing Chinese-language text, Singlechart usages for Billboardcountrysongs, Singlechart usages for Billboardlatinsongs, Singlechart usages for Billboardlatintropical, Singlechart usages for Billboardlatinpopsongs, Singlechart usages for Billboardrocksongs, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 13 October 2020, at 20:16.

I Don T Wanna Be Ukulele Chords, Don't Call Me Angel Movie, Second Hand Electric Cars, Destiny 2: The Whisper Quest 2020, Dago Red Band, New Station Wagons For Sale, Asus Vg248qe 60hz, Plush Shoe Spray, Into The Woods Musical Songs,

Вашият коментар

Вашият имейл адрес няма да бъде публикуван. Задължителните полета са отбелязани с *